Sony Group Corporation (“Sony”) plans to release the “Airpeak S1” as the first model in Airpeak line, which has been developed with the intention of contributing to the further development of drones and the utmost in value creation. The commercial drone, Airpeak S1 will be the world’s smallest drone able to be equipped with a full-frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens α camera, enabling dynamic and precise flight with high agility by using a proprietary motor, propeller, control system and sensing technology, and supporting the creative expression of its users to the fullest. It also supports the production of high-quality aerial images with a remote controller that can control the aircraft at will, obstacle detection and automatic flight control via sensing, and increased flight safety via cloud management of the aircraft and flight information.
Optimized Design for Exceptional Performance
Fly dynamically with basic high performance
- Reaches a maximum speed of 90km/h*1, a maximum angular velocity of 180°/s*2, and a maximum tilt angle of 55°*3.
Stable flight even in strong winds
- Propulsion technology using a combination of independently developed key devices provides wind resistance of up to 20m/s*4, enabling stable flight even in strong winds.
- *1No payload, obstacle brake disabled
- *2Vision Positioning disabled
- *3Obstacle brake disabled
- *4No payload
Independently developed propulsion device and flight control system
- In addition to the lightweight, highly-efficient, sturdy and responsive proprietary 17″ propeller and brushless motor, it is equipped with an ESC (Electric Speed Controller) for optimal control of these components.
- Unique, high-performance flight control system that integrates the propulsion device and all sensor information to ensure stable flight and high maneuverability.
Sensing Technology for Flight Stability
Accurately grasps position and orientation using multiple high-performance sensors
- Stereo cameras equipped with Sony’s image sensors are installed in 5 locations (front, back, left, right, bottom) of the aircraft. Sony’s Vision Sensing Processor, which processes camera data at high speed, and proprietary algorithms are used to accurately estimate the aircraft’s spatial position and orientation in real time, enabling stable flight even in environments where GNSS reception may be affected or hindered, such as indoors or under bridges. Airpeak S1 integrates visual information with sensor information such as IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit), direction, barometric pressure, infrared ranging, etc., estimates self-position and attitude with high accuracy, and recognizes the surrounding space in real time. This enables stable flight even under conditions where it is difficult to receive GNSS, such as indoors and under bridges.
Versatile Camera and Lens Compatibility
A wide range of cameras and lens options
- Choose the right α system for your application and expand your filmmaking horizons: the α7S series and FX3 for high descriptive capability with suppressed noise, the α7R series for ultra-high definition, and the α9 series and others for distortion-free images.
- The α1, which can shoot footage in 8K, is also compatible.
“Airpeak Flight”, a remote controller with high operability and a mobile app that allows centralized control of the aircraft and equipment.
- Capable of operating the aircraft, camera, and gimbal while checking images captured by α camera in real time.
- The iOS / iPadOS compatible mobile app Airpeak Flight integrates the aircraft, remote controller, camera, and gimbal, allowing the operator to monitor status information such as flight distance and remaining battery power, and change various operations and settings on the screen.
Automated Flight Missions for Workflow Efficiency
Integrated management in the cloud with “Airpeak Base”
- Airpeak Base is a web application that allows the operator to manage equipment, create flight plans, and manage flight logs.
- In the equipment management, information on the equipment used is automatically listed and managed based on the flight log. This allows the operator to check the condition of the aircraft before going to the field, contributing to problem reduction.
Creation of missions for video production and mission flight / repeat flight
- With Airpeak Base, operator can create advanced flight plans and automatically fly the aircraft along the same course many times as if on rails installed in the air.
- It is able to set the position (latitude, longitude and altitude) and speed of the aircraft along the timeline, and specify the orientation of the gimbal and the timing of video or still image shooting. It can also draw smooth curves on the map.
- Repeat flight is an automatic flight function that automatically reproduces the flight route, gimbal, and camera movements based on the flight logs that have flown in the past.
For more information visit electronics.sony.com/airpeak