New OV12895 Features Fast Frame Rate, Slow-Motion Video, and a Low-Power Mode
OmniVision Technologies, Inc., a leading developer of advanced digital imaging solutions, today announced the OV12895, the latest addition to the PureCel®Plus-S product line that offers stacked-die technology. This 12-megapixel image sensor leverages a 1.55-micron pixel and high-speed architecture to deliver best-in-class performance for consumer-grade drones, surveillance systems, and 360-degree action cameras.
Highlights of the OV12895 include:
- 12-megapixel still-image capture
- 4K2K resolution at 60 frames per second (FPS)
- 1080p resolution at 240 FPS resolution for slow-motion videos
- 12-bit readout architecture that provides high–bit depth snapshots
- A low chief ray angle of 5 degrees that is suitable for mature lens ecosystems
- Availability in RW and CLGA formats
“We are seeing rapid growth in the markets for consumer drones, surveillance systems, and 360-degree action cameras, in part due to the increasing demand for aerial photography and 4K-resolution panoramic videos in security and virtual reality applications. The 12-megapixel OV12895 aligns well with these consumer product segments because it strikes a balance between solid pixel performance and high resolution, in a widely used 1/2.3-inch optical format,” said Kalairaja Chinnaveerappan, senior product marketing manager at OmniVision. “The OV12895 builds on our latest-generation PureCel Plus-S stacked-die architecture and has many desirable features for these applications.”
PureCel Plus-S Architecture
The OV12895 is built on OmniVision’s PureCel Plus-S stacked-die architecture featuring backside illumination for ultra-high resolution and crisp, vibrant images across all light levels. The stacked-die structure allows for additional sensor functionality while enabling smaller die sizes when compared with non-stacked sensors, resulting in smaller module sizes for larger optical format sensors.
OV12895 Resolution and Frame Rate Specifications:
- High-quality slow-motion video capture with full field of view
- Full-resolution 10-bit images and video at 45 FPS in a 4:3 aspect ratio
- Full-resolution 12-bit images and video at 30 FPS in a 4:3 aspect ratio
- Ultra-high-resolution 4K2K video at 60 FPS in a 16:9 aspect ratio
- Full high-definition (HD) 1080p video at 240 FPS
The OV12895 is currently available for sampling and is expected to enter volume production in the first quarter of 2017.
OmniVision Technologies is a leading developer of advanced digital imaging solutions. Its award-winning CMOS imaging technology enables superior image quality in many of today’s consumer and commercial applications, including mobile phones, notebooks, tablets and webcams, digital still and video cameras, security and surveillance, entertainment devices, automotive and medical imaging systems. Find out more at www.ovt.com.